A recipe for an especially gentle but effective vegan, gluten-free DIY nappy rash cream which is easy and cheap to make at home.
Commercially made nappy/diaper rash creams are packed with chemicals and many use products like lanolin which make them non-vegan and can cause an allergic reaction both babies and mums.
The recipe uses Nilotic Fruit Butter and Coconut Oil to help soothe skin while the thickening agent Arrowroot also acts as a liquid absorbent which acts with the Nilotic Fruit Butter to moisturise, reduces skin irritation and inflammation and rapidly diminishes skin rash.
Nappy/Diaper Rash Cream
- 1/4 cup Nilotic Fruit Butter (Shea Butter can be used if Nilotic Fruit Butter is not available).
- 2 tablespoons Fractionated Coconut Oil
- Arrowroot Powder
- Airtight Glass Container / Jar
- Melt the coconut oil in a double boiler or in a pyrex bowl over a pan of hot water.
- Stir the Nilotic Fruit Butter into the melted coconut oil.
- Using a hand mixer, whip the mixture until it is uniform in color and consistency.
- Allow the mixture to cool at room temperature.
- Add Arrowroot powder to the mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring with each addition until it reaches the desired consistency
- Refrigerate the cream until it has cooled completely
- Transfer the mixture to an airtight container and store it at room temperature
- Use as needed on a babies bottom for a rash or to moisturise if needed